Take a classic patchwork block, the Log Cabin block, and then change up the layout to create a striking arrangement. Using fabric strips in various widths, sewing them directly to the batting makes this quilt pattern from Adri van der Zel’s a great quilt-as-you-go-project.
- An excellent introduction to the quilt as you go technique with detailed step-by-step instructions with clear diagrams to show you how
- Use strips of different widths in the blocks to introduce make the Log Cabins as wonky or as formal as you wish
- The quilt as you go technique makes quilting a bed-size quilt on a domestic sewing machine very achievable
- Loads of design options are available for arranging the blocks - use Adri’s layout or play with the blocks to develop your own
- Choose your fabrics and colours to suit your style or home décor or if you’re making it as a gift, adapt to suit their favourite colours
- It’s easy to vary the size of the quilt, simply use more or fewer blocks or rows and adjust the border to fit
- A terrific project for a crafter with intermediate-level skills, and an excellent project to try out the quilt-as-you-go technique